Friday, March 7, 2014

Right Brain Brewing - Naughty Girl Stout


This stout from Right Brain Brewing was inspired by those addictive Thin Mint cookies. And just like those chocolatey mint cookies; I found I had no self control when It came to purchasing this brew. Naughty Girl Stout pours dark chocolate brown and is topped with a thick taupe colored head. The aroma is very mild, and only has a subtle hint of the advertised mint chocolate. First sip. Strange. The chocolate is apparent, but it gets over powered by the mint. And it's not the enjoyable chocolate mint dessert flavor you would expect from a Thin Mint. Its more herbal - think mint tea.
This brew also suffers from a thin watery body. It doesn't have the traditional heavier presence that you'd expect from a stout. I understand that a style can fluctuate, but I would even consider this brew thin if it were a porter. The chocolate notes continue in the finish, but once again are overshadowed by a lingering medicinal mint flavor. Bummer. I was really hoping to enjoy this stout. I like the concept, and can see the potential. If executed right this could be a unique and enjoyable brew, but unfortunately the "Thin/Mint" inspiration becomes a too literal in this offering. 

Cheers!!!

L.L.Lind

1 comment:

  1. Yikes,I'll make sure to skip this stout! Thanks for the review Lee, this is something I definitely would have purchased a six pack of.

    ReplyDelete