Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Jim Beam Red Stag Spiced



When making a beer run for a recent review I was surprised to see Red Stag Spiced (with cinnamon) on the counter. Excited even. I like bourbon, and I like cinnamon. 

Fingers Crossed. Glass. Ice. Pour.

The aroma gives off only a subtle hint of cinnamon, which is promising. The first sip confirms the cinnamon is not very dominant. I like this because it lets the bourbon speak for itself. What's unique is the cinnamon flares a bit during the end, creating a nice spicy finish. What I also like is this flavored whiskey tastes very natural , as if before aging, a few cinnamon sticks were dropped in the barrel. This is where Red Stag Spiced exceeds over all other cinnamon flavored liquors I’ve tried, which usually suffer the artificial Red Hots candy flavor. I could see this being a nice drink to sip around the holidays, or a nice kick to add to Grandma's spiced holiday punch or cider. Regardless of the season, Red Stag Spiced is a welcomed addition to the flavored whiskey family. 



No comments:

Post a Comment